Tuesday, April 6, 2021

MEANDERINGS







 

It’s Easter. I watched a segment of Watter’s World and it was so disturbing, I have no words. The people he talked to had no idea what Easter was about, or anything about Jesus himself. We are living in a post Christian era. That’s not a scary thing for Christians, it’s a horrifying thing for those who aren’t. He will come for us, whether we believe in Him and accept His sacrifice or not. It just made me very sad. I know the difference He made in my own life, after living 46 years without Him. And this life is not the big deal. It’s the next one that lasts forever that matters most. My greatest wish is that my children and grandchildren follow Him, and my friends as well. I pray for them. That’s the best I can do. I complain about many things but I know I have more than I deserve, only by His grace.

I’ve much to be grateful for, not the least of which is my young granddaughter didn’t step on this beast yesterday when she was squirrel hunting.



TheMan vacuumed the house for me which is a HUGE deal as I can’t usually do it and the big dogs don’t just bring in big chunks of hair and mud, but leaves, large pieces of sticker bushes, tumbleweeds etc. and it remains on the carpets. It’s frustrating because they really don’t belong in the house, they belong outside with the stock, but since we have no stock, TheMan lets them inside. The Heathen sheds something awful on his own, so running the vacuum was a real blessing. I dusted what I was able while he did so, and worked on cleaning the kitchen and getting dinner for tonite made. That part took me most of the day but was easy.


We’re having a leg of lamb which is super simple to make. I make about 7 slits and put a clove of garlic in each. I rub a little mix of salt, pepper, thyme and garlic powder. Mixed with oil on the outside, then put it on a rack in a pan, in the oven at 375 to sear the meat. After 15 min, turn the. Heat down to 350, pour in a 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of pan, cover it and bake for 25 min per pound. The drippings I use to make gravy.

I got applesauce made this morning in the Instapot. It was the first time I made it that way, but it won’t be the last. I just peeled 6  Granny Smith’s with my much loved apple/potato peeler, tossed them in the pan with 3/4 c water and tsp of cinnamon, 3/4 Tbl of lemon juice, turned it on for 8 min. Did a pressure release and Tah dah!! Applesauce!

Lastly we made loaded cauliflower which is our new favorite. We do Keto on and off and this was our favorite recipe.


I got this awesome new tumbler. The first on we got, the motor burned out and it costs almost as much to replace it as to buy a new one. A wonderful friend gifted me a nice used Lortone which is one of the most popular you can buy, but it takes a month to do 3# of stones which isn’t many. We saved up and got this monster that I am absolutely in love with! He’s made in America, (as is Lortone) and is heavy duty and well put together. The best part? He holds 5x as many stones as the other one. It still takes a month but it makes me feel so happy to know a big batch of rocks is getting done. This thing is not going to break down like the cheap one we got at Harbor Freight that was most likely made in China. 




I had a very large Creeping Charley that hadn't been doing well. It was dropping a lot of leaves this year and the leaves were getting smaller and were not glossy. I decided to repot him so had TheMan carefully take him down and we painstakingly worked him out of the macrame hanger. He definitely needed a larger pot with better drainage so I put him in one and watered him in good to take care of any air pockets. We left him on the porch to drain while we both rested our sore backs and i found a pot saucer. 

When I got back out to get him, I found the Maremmas had been doing cat imitations and had knocked him off the porch.

Here's the before 


and after pics...



pitiful, I know. But if he doesn't grow back thriving, I will start another from cuttings as the plants keep outgrowing their spots and I have to keep pruning them...and being a waste not person I don't have the heart to throw out the cuttings so I keep starting more plants...

Now it's Tuesday. Monday was a wash because weather and exertion resulted in a ton of pain, so I never moved all day. Just laid here and moaned like a sick cow.

Today is better so I took Heath for another cruise with the wheelchair and we found 

A GEODE!!

Right there on the ranch road heading to the corrals. Never know what you might run across out here. Sadly the picture doesn't do it justice at all. You can't see all the sparkly inside. But its there, and it made me happy to find it.




Hope y'all have a great week/month or whatever until I get back to you!


Petey & the Heathen 









4 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about feeling sad for people who don't know Him. We are told our job is to plant seeds, but then it's up to God when or if they will sprout and grow. It's harder when it's loved ones involved. As you said, all we can do is pray.

    Your lamb sounds delicious. I'll have to try your recipe. Usually I marinate in red wine, some oil, rosemary, salt and pepper, then grill. It's always good to have multiple choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds awesome! I will try that with one that is butterflied

      Delete
  2. Yikes! That snake! So glad she didn't step on it! What brand is your new tumbler? I'm always on the lookout for tumblers. :) Beautiful geode! Congrats on finding it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Thumbler's. I got it from Kingman's. I love it! The geode is really sparkly inside, that's how I saw it on the road. It was already broke open a bit. I have another little bitty one that was down by the hotsprings, again, on the road. Crazy!

      Delete