Friday, April 29, 2011

Honey, I Blew Up the Dog

Spring must really be here, because the pups are shedding. There are chunks of Maremma all over the back corrals, and I think Cletus may turn out to be only half the dog he used to be.
He looks so different and kinda mangy. The sheep woke up one morning and didn't even seem recognize him.


The chicks that have been living in the house since March 1st finally feathered out. One of them escaped from the big metal feed trough we had dragged into the living room for them to grow in, so I figgered it was high time. They were kinda stinky anyway, and chickens make a fine sort of dust on everything that is annoying. They moved into the greenhouse with the door unzipped so they could go in and out. They are becoming VERY friendly. We have had a few training sessions with Cletus who is still having a difficult time conquering his chicken plucking urges. We got Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps this time around. They are supposed to be good about going 'broody' so they will be self sustaining and we will continue to have eggs and meat for the table without buying more chickens.

We had visitors, in the form of family last week. They brought 3 of the kids, who were really cute and had a good time helping to feed the calves, the lambs and milk goats. It was nice to have the help and, well...it was just nice having kids around. I miss my own kids and grandkids a LOT. Here's to hoping they make the trip up this summer, as they have another on the way!! Meantime, we had gone to the hot springs and one of the girls modeled the newest in ranchwear for  us.
How cute is a summer shift, stripped stockings with bows at the top and cowboy boots!?! I love kids. I wish I had this in my closet.

Once again, we ate like kings. They brought another prime rib, which I prepared while everyone was out pushing cows in from the desert. I had a panic attack, when I learned they were going to show up for dinner THREE HOURS LATE, but thanks to the recipe buzz on AR, (B'Nana in particular) it wound up cooked to perfection. The 'boule bucket bread' was also a major hit. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend the book, "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day". I tossed all the flour, yeast, salt and water into a bucket the day before they showed up and we had lots of fresh baked loaves and pizza crusts. FABULOUS stuff!
This discovery is NOT going to be a good for my wardrobe.

It's snowing again. I hope Cletus didn't jump the gun taking off his winter coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment