Monday, January 13, 2020

A Gem of an Idea



It’s been awhile. That’s because I don’t blog unless I am in a pretty good mood and have good things to share. That was the case frequently when I was riding, had my milk cow and sheep, and was getting out and about each day, living life to the fullest. Multiple autoimmune conditions and a state of constant pain has made that a much more rare set of circumstances, but here I am!

As people in my predicament always do, I am making adjustments. Things are constantly changing and my health is fluid. One day I am able to go out and ride, the next may be in a wheelchair. But I am picking up new ways to busy my mind and do something with my life. I want most to share things of value with my grandchildren, so any skills I can give them, I do.

I was unable to do any gardening the past couple of years as it was just too much and too painful, so I turned to houseplants.

 They make me happy and I can root cuttings to make new plants to gift friends. That led to my needing a plant hanger, so I bought some jute and with a u-tube session and a book, I refreshed my skills and put them together. I was in California in August and two of my granddaughters were there. The boredom monster raised its head so I decided to teach her a couple of macrame knots to make herself some bracelets. She was quickly addicted to it and I left her with plenty of string and some letter beads. Next thing I knew, she was telling me how much money she had made selling friendship “faith” bracelets and plant hangers.


Living so far away from family and seeing them as seldom as I do, makes birthdays and Christmas difficult as I never know what they have, what they like, what they want. She was having so much fun with the bracelets I decided to teach myself to make some jewelry so I could teach her, and get her the tools for Christmas as it seemed like a great hobby for a girl about to launch into her teen years and one that would last a lifetime if she enjoyed it. It’s a pastime that she can continue to learn and gain more sophisticated skills as she matures, so I dove in. It wasn't long until I found myself really enjoying it, and thrilled that there are so many techniques that can be learned. I've been making some wire wrap jewelry and look forward to doing some wire weaving, as well as learning to work with seed beads. It has completely taken me by surprise, as I never wore much jewelry myself. Working in a barn all my life didn't lend itself to fashion, but like so much in my life, except for riding, I turned out to really like doing it.  I always knew I loved riding and training, but cooking, baking, gardening, raising sheep, milking cows, making soap, etc. were all things I started doing with no idea how much fun it would be.

I posted a few pics on my FB page and folks started asking if I was going to sell, so I have re opened the Etsy shop and will be selling handmade jewelry along with soaps. It's taking some times to get inventory made, but at least it keeps me off the...couch!





I think 2020 is going to be a much better year, and I plan to be around here more, so hope to hear from you all!


 Love,
Petey & The Happy Heathen





15 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! So good to hear from you and that you have a new adventure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well HELLO, it has been much too long since your last post. I always love seeing what you are up too! The Macramé is fun, I have not done any for YEARS. You jewelry designs are lovely. My soap Supply ( your soaps) is dwindling. So I will be checking out the Etsy shop again :) YEAH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks so much. I wasn't sure if anyone would be here, I've been gone for so long!

      Delete
  3. So happy to hear from you! I checked out your jewelry on Etsy, beautiful! I didn't know you still made soap. Years ago I bought a few bars from you and I was so impressed I learned how to make it myself. Many bars and lots of $$$$ later I'm still at it.
    I first met you at AllRecipes, and since they went to a different format and stopped all the fun we had talking to each other a few of us went over to GroupRecipes. Come over and say hi, we are The Refugees.
    Now back to Etsy and your jewelry-late Christmas present for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! It's hard to go back to regular soap once you've tried the real thing. Glad to have made another advocate!
      I will have to see if I can find my way there and check it out!

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear that you have something new & exciting as a creative outlet! Way to make lemonade when life hands you lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to hear from you, and that you have a new endeavor that will help in so many areas of your life. I have thought of you often, especially on my way up and back on 95 from CA to ID. I have come to appreciate the beauty of that road and can understand how you love it as well. It seems you have a good business mind, and I look forward to seeing what you accomplish. You are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome this gives me some hope also. Its true.. we have to learn to do things, new things to keep our self up beat and going. I am thinking about drawing and painting again alone with crocheting. I use to do a lot of bead work and I know I have beads around here some where. Keep your head up pety.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Petey- Every couple of months, I check to see if you've posted a new story/adventure. So happy you've found a new outlet for your creativity. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

      Delete